Jul 13, 2009

Vulture Chicks

The American black vulture (Coragyps atratus) is pretty widespread across the New World, though their territory doesn't reach the same northern and southern extremes of its cousin, the turkey vulture. Unlike many other vulture species, these birds usually lay their eggs on the ground (which is probably why you see these two-week-old chicks huddled on the ground). They don't even bother much with making a nest, though sometimes they'll decorate the egg spot with colorful bits of plastic or glass or bottle caps.

I wonder what they used for decor before I started throwing my garbage out my car window...

Thanks for the photo, Clair.

6 comments:

Sabina E. said...

they look nothing like vultures! They're cute, but too bad vultures gross me out :-/

Jessica Olin said...

I refute your claim of ugly and replace it with my claim of cute!

Anonymous said...

You won't think they are so cute when they are projectile regurgitating their food on you.

I promise.

Jessica Olin said...

@Anonymous: perhaps not, but it IS a nifty defense system. I wonder if I could get away with it the next time some jerk starts bothering me.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of cool defense systems, before they regurgitate they make a noise that, while called a "hiss", sounds more like a rattlesnake.

Anonymous said...

They are looking so innocent you can't comment them ugly.

peter

-----------
Free Satellite TV