Oct 1, 2009

Disillusionment

This photo was taken at a crocodile farm in Bangkok. The wrestler looks like a nice enough guy, complete with a winning smile. So why, oh why, does the baser part of me wish so desperately for the crocodile to clamp down? What's wrong with me?

I was pondering this picture and trying to figure out why the crocodile was being so docile. Was it training? Tranquilizers? Then I saw the wad of cash in its mouth, and the illusion was dispelled. The curtain was pulled back, giving us a backstage pass on the operations. The crocodile's been bribed!

Grrr. I hate being disillusioned.

Photo source: Ben Visbeek

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're saying the whole "danger" thing is a crock? (badump-bump-tsshhh)

Raging Wombat said...

Dang it. I wish I had thought of that. Well done!

Christie Lynn said...

Just remember that sometimes, bribery doesn't always work...

Zookeeper Gabe said...

While all of a Croc/Gators power is in closing the jaws frequently they will keep their jaws in the held open position like this. But what has happened before is a drop of sweat or something could fall into the crocs mouth causing it to snap its jaws shut.

Nicole said...

Hasn't he seen the Crocodile Hunter's show. Theses creatures are jumpy and you can not underestimate one. I suppose he feels comfortable with this animal, but that is usually when a disaster happens.