Oct 19, 2009

First Stab at Spider ID

I admire anyone who can overcome their arachnophobia long enough to sneak up and take a picture of the object of their fear. Tavia did just that, and went the extra mile of setting up a tripod (to control the shudders of revulsion that otherwise would have ruined the photo).

Tavia took this photo in Raymond, NH, and is looking for some identification help. I've learned quite a bit about spiders since beginning this blog, so I'll take the first stab: its an Argiope species, a female (despite not seeing an egg sac nearby). She's reaching the end of her life's tether, as evidenced by her missing leg, and by the season (all the orb weavers are now blessedly gone from my own yard).

So, arachnophiles, how did I do? Do I have just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble, but not enough to have any accuracy in my guesses?

UPDATE: Thanks to Jenny and several anonymouses and Denita, we can rest assured that this spider is indeed Argiope aurantia, a yellow garden spider or black and yellow argiope spider. Thanks to you all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

St. Andrews Cross Spider?

Jenny Reiswig said...

My bug book identifies this as black and yellow argiope. Very descriptive!

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about the details , but it's definitely Argiope aurantia http://bugguide.net/node/view/2025

Denita TwoDragons said...

Classic Argiope aurantia! One of my favorite web-spinners! :-)

Anonymous said...

In Texas, we call this a "sewing machine spider" b/c they make little zig-zag patterns in the their round-ish webs. Definately Argiope.

Arachnophile said...

WELL done Wombat! I'm proud of you!

On an interesting note, if you look up the name Argiope in mythology you'll get a little insight into the naming of how the Greeks felt about spiders. :)

It's been way too long since I've logged in here. :)

Raging Wombat said...

Welcome back, Arachnophile!