Oct 31, 2009

In The Mop Bucket

Terri encountered this spider in her mop bucket. Now, it takes little provocation for me to walk away from a mopping job. But this? I could legitimately get away with not mopping the kitchen floor for a month, since my wife is understanding when it comes to my arachnophobia. It might almost be worth the encounter...

Anyone know what kind of spider this is? The mop bucket in question is in Phoenix, AZ, USA. Is it a huntsman?

Thanks for the photo, Terri. That penny was awful brave for getting so close to the spider.

10 comments:

Carrie said...

I will, without fail always vote gross on spider pictures - RW - EWW

Stupid penny

Claymore said...

Looks like a rain spider to me (at least, that's what we call those ones in South Africa). Has it only got 7 legs?

Anonymous said...

I would say it's definitely a huntsman from the forward swept legs like a crab spider to the flat, wide body. Not to mention the considerable size which is actually pretty small for a huntsman.

Anonymous said...

And yes, it looks like this one lost a leg which isn't toom uncommon for a hunter-killer spider. It'll get the leg back next molt, though.

TerriF said...

The 8th leg is very hard to see, it's hidden behind the middle leg on the left side of the photo. Several people have told me this is a wolf-spider, is that the same thing as a huntsman? I don't know. Anyway, thanks so much for posting my photo!
-Terri

Anonymous said...

It's definitely not a wolf spider. Wolf spiders are grey, hairy and large (like my grandfather), but they look different from this. They tend to have narrow "heads" (cephalothorax actually) and two eyes that are large, prominent and often set high.

Sarah said...

So it is a huntsman and rain spider -- looks like anyway. Here's a wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider
-Sarah

otoemlak said...

Looks like a rain spider to me (at least, that's what we call

Unknown said...

I don't care what you call it. I call it yucky!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm not sure. Possibly a Brown Recluse? But don't get bitten by those. Search "Brown Recluse bite" and you'll see what I mean.